This week it was Finny’s turn to set up the activities for Ioan. We’ve just started looking at division, so the problems involved different methods of division.
- Whitebords and pens
- Place value counters
- Animal figures
- Log slices and sticks
Problem 1 – Metal Steve wants to swim but Action Beaver has built 3 dams…
Finny set up the first activity, involving Metal Steve and Action Beaver. It was a two step question, first Ioan had to work out how many sticks there were altogether, then divide the total into 6 equal groups (or piles of sticks).
Problem 2 – Weenie bakes 844 cupcakes. He wants to share them with Pig, Bunny and Le Fox…
Ioan worked out he needed to share (divide) the 844 cupcakes by 4. First of all he represented this on Finny’s version of a place value chart.
Then he demonstrated how to represent the same calculation using a part-whole model.
Problem 3 – Skunky and Monkey have found an enormous worm…
First, Ioan worked out what 839 would be cut into 4 equal pieces, or divided by 4.
Then, divided by 6.
And finally, 839 divided by 8.
The finished activities:
DfES National Curriculum (2013)
Numeracy Year 4 programme of study
Number – multiplication and division
- recall multiplication and division facts for multiplication tables up to 12 × 12
- use place value, known and derived facts to multiply and divide mentally
- recognise and use factor pairs and commutativity in mental calculations
- multiply two-digit and three-digit numbers by a one-digit number using formal written layout
- solve problems involving multiplying and adding, including using the distributive law to multiply two digit numbers by one digit