Ioan was keen to show Finn what they’d learnt about in Reception. The subtraction rhyme they used in school was:
“5 little ladybirds went out to play. One little ladybird flew away.”
As usual, Ioan adapted the rhyme to suit Finn’s interests.
- Log slices with numbers written on
- Subtraction and equals signs
This was the rhyme Ioan invented for Finn:
He was really supportive of Finn having a go.
DfES Outcomes for EYFS and National Curriculum (2013)
Numeracy Year 1 programme of study
Number – number and place value
- given a number, identify 1 more and 1 less
- identify and represent numbers using objects and pictorial representations including the number line, and use the language of: equal to, more than, less than (fewer), most, least
Number – addition and subtraction
- read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition (+), subtraction (−) and equals (=) signs
- represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts within 20
- add and subtract one-digit and two-digit numbers to 20, including 0